Saturday, October 2, 2010

cold comfort farm....has little to do with my subject, but I love saying it

Today was the perfect autumn day for Jester Park, one of our favorite spots to peacefully spend an un- predetermined amount of time playing in the water, watching the bison and elk, and eating Pizza Lunchables which thankfully Ronan had the good sense to decide were not really even food. It was brisk this morning, and there was a bit of a power struggle over whether jackets should be brought along, especially when one had a skeleton outfit to show off, and the other just wanted to look pretty. As it turned out, even I was not dressed warmly enough, and for most of the time there, I silently shivered with my desire for a scalding, hot chai, and I nearly wept with relief each time the sun shone past the cotton candy clouds.



Comfort: I've been thinking about it ever since enjoying the Greenwood Elementary Family Movie Night, for which the students had voted Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Maybe because I saw it so much as a kid and into adulthood, I find that movie to be so comforting and familiar. I imagine Charlie's hair smells like dirty sheets and hard work, but I forgive the little guy, because he was born into a tough situation.

My relationship with God is what provides me the real comfort, particularly on the random, paranoid night when my mindset is not *if* someone breaks in and assaults me, but *when*. I stare down the door just waiting for it, but then I remind myself of many, many verses and promises of God's protection and grace, and I eventually fall asleep. The comforts I'm describing here are the purely human ones; chai with an extra shot of espresso....being holed up in the house during a snowstorm with all family members accounted for, and the kitchen stocked with food...spending time with long time friends who really, really 'get' me...



Right now Skip is super uncomfortable, and I suspect he is looking forward to our New Orleans rendezvous perhaps even more than I am. For now I send him travel magazines, candy corn with peanuts, dark chocolate, (though he says he doesn't want unhealthy stuff) fallen leaves from our front tree, drawings the kids have done, photos...And I am most looking forward to the comfort of sitting across from him in a couple weeks, drinking chicory coffee and mildly choking on the powdered sugar dust of the beignets at Cafe Du Monde.

     In the meantime, however, I'll just have to check this guy out from the library.
                                      Oh, Mr. Wilder. You were a genius.

I would love to hear what creature comforts are to you? Don't censor yourself either. I won't shy away from telling you that I know I've had a really deep sleep if, and only if, upon awaking my hands are bent and curled backwards and awkwardly around my hipbones. I really should ask Mom if that was an infant position.

3 comments:

  1. What Creature Comforts Are To Me. By K. Larson

    1. Bookstores on Saturday nights when most people my age are out and about prowling. I love solitude found amongst the rest like me (oddly, it is in groups where I am unbothered that I find the most comfort when surrounded by people).

    2. When I was little, I used to be afraid of things as you mentioned (people breaking in - aliens abducting me - the ghost that was in my bedroom). I was strangely comforted by the proximity of my best friend's house. It was only a few doors down the street, and if I could think of him sleeping soundly and safely, I was better off.

    3. Having the opportunity to splurge financially on things that really don't cost very much monetarily. It makes me feel calm when I don't worry about the cost of a really great bar of chocolate. It reminds me of going to the dime store with my mom or dad as a child and having them say "let's get a treat." My mom has told me that she used to share Nut Goodies with her mom. How spoiled was I to have been given my own treat, while my mom crunched away on a Snickers?


    I will leave it at three, with this additional statement: You are a creature comfort by everything that you are, Courtney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K Larson, I totally get what you're saying about solitude. I'm not a prowler, nor have I ever been. Thanks for sharing:)...I should have mentioned, I STILL desperately wish I could stick my hand in the Wonka candy toadstool and get a fistful of whatever confection was in there. Maybe I'll dream of that tonight after my brief stint of terror...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing feels as if the thesaurus fully lives in your brain giving you a wealth of wonderfully descriptive words!
    Oh, how I can relate to just waiting for the prowler, the fire, the child startled from a bad dream. I don't know what prompted this--other than to give full glory to the Holy Spirit--I talked to a local police officer and a fireman from church about the probability of these things happening and found great reassurance and safety from their responses. Now when I'm awakened, I know it's a great time to pray--yes, for safety, but for everything else that comes to mind, too!
    Comfort...all my babies under a blanket with some fresh hot popcorn and a silly movie that makes them giggle like crazy! And pajama pants... :)

    ReplyDelete